The Fort Martin Scott Historic Site was the first U.S. Army outpost built on the Texas Frontier. The military fort was in operation from 1848 to 1853 by the U.S. Army. Texas Rangers used the site as a camp, both before and after military occupation. During the Civil War, the Confederate States Army occupied the fort for a brief period. Later abandoned and then purchased by the Braeutigam family as a farm, the property was purchased by the City of Fredericksburg in 1949. The historic site is now home to an original garrison building, a late 1800s farm shed and three reproduction garrison buildings. Fort Martin Scott Historic Site is also home to nature trail and bird blind for viewing of native wildflowers and wildlife. Fort Martin Scott Historic Site offers free self guided tours with interpretive signage around the Fort’s quadrangle. Fort buildings are open during Fort Martin Scott Historic Site Visitor Center hours. Fort Martin Scott also hosts living history reenactments twice per year.